November 2–4, 2018
Let us be your Gay Desert Guide to Palm Springs Pride weekend! Our Dip Into Pride Pool Party presented by Truly Spiked & Sparkling kicks it all off in exuberant style with Hot DJs, live performance, swimwear contest, cannabis showcase, and more! Some highlights of the weekend include the HRC Garden Party, Pride Walk/Run 5K, Dyke Picnic, L-Fund Dance, Passions Ball, Miss Richfield, Lesbo Expo, and of course the Greater Palm Springs Pride Parade and Festival itself! We take a look at the happenings on Arenas Road this weekend, and also have some excellent new theatre productions opening. With so much to do, this weekend is going to be a blast.
Happy Pride, Gay Desert Guide Readers!
Dip Into Pride with Gay Desert Guide!
Palm Springs Pride is here, and we are super excited to bring you the official Palm Springs Pride: Dip Into Pride Kickoff Pool Party on Friday, November 2 from 12:00–6:00 p.m. at Hotel Zoso! The party, presented by Gay Desert Guide and Truly Spiked & Sparkling, features:
- DJ Holly Adams, one of LA's favorite House DJs and one of the most recognizable voices in Electronic Dance Music since the beginning of the West Coast Rave Scene in the early 90's. Now she can be heard as resident DJ on Subliminal Radio, hosting "Holly's House" weekly.
- Elisia Savoca, the 17-year-old who is politely being compared to legends such as Amy Winehouse and Lady Gaga with her powerful voice, enchanting melodies and vulnerable truths.
- DJ Ray Rhodes, LA DJ for such events as Tiger Heat and Out on the Mountain.
- TIANN, native of Sydney Australia who has captivated audiences around the world with her sensual, intoxicating vocals.
- A special "Pot-Up" Event: Elevate your Pride for an exclusive cannabis-themed product showcase focused on the ways we live our lives…morning, noon and night…and of course after-hours. Presented by Bloom & Groom. Participants include:
- KIngs Garden Royal Botanicals
- Hemp Meds
- THC Design
- Mr. & Mrs. Selfie
- Only one cabana and a few daybeds remain! Passes go up at the door to $20, so buy now at just $15.
- DJ Alexander Rodriguez will be hosting a "Win & Model" Andrew Christian Swimwear Contest at 2pm, as well as serving as the official main stage host at the Arenas Road Block Party and he's busy all weekend making appearances at a number of pride events! (see below). He will also be hosting "The Wedding Game" for us, with social media stars Zach & Evan!
Greater Palm Springs Pride Events
While there's far too much going on at Palm Springs Pride to list it all here, we've got you covered with this Rundown of Major Events. Add this to your bookmarks and add Gay Desert Guide to your home screen so you can refer to us all weekend.
Youth Power for Change is the theme for this year's event, and Downtown Palm Springs is the setting for a vibrant, pedestrian friendly Pride Parade and Festival, unique to Southern California. Enjoy a diverse array of artists, entertainers, multiple beverage gardens and purveyors of all sorts. Don't forget to look for us at the Gay Desert Guide booth at the Welcome Center, pick up our latest Map & Calendar or just say hi! We're working with our partners at the Desert Business Association and Coachella Valley Independent.
George Zander Candlelight Vigil and March
Join Palm Springs Pride to reflect, remember, and stand up against hate violence around the world on Thursday, November 1 at 6:00 p.m. on La Plaza, in front of Grand Central. Participants will join in memory of all victims of hate crimes and remember George Zander on the 3rd anniversary of the day he and Chris Zander were attacked in downtown Palm Springs. George died on December 10, 2015. The vigil will begin on La Plaza, in front of Grand Central, and features a rally and march through the heart of Palm Springs. We will be handing out MSF Heart/Fence Challenge hearts that evening. Learn more about the challenge here, and don't miss our interview with Dennis & Judy Shepard, 20 years after their son Matthew's death. More info
LGBT History Month
Each day in October, LGBT History Month has been celebrating the achievement of a new LGBT icon--such as Cleve Jones, who was also honored right here in Palm Springs at the Harvey Milk Diversity Breakfast earlier this year! Celebrate and brush up on your gay and lesbian history at lgbthistorymonth.com today!
HRC Garden Party November 3
Another iconic event of Pride weekend is the HRC Palm Springs Garden Party on Saturday, November 3 from 1:30–4:30 p.m. This event brings together more than 800 HRC members, friends, families, and allies for an afternoon of celebration and inspiration. Here also is another chance to win tickets to see Lea DeLaria at the McCallum on November 8 by entering the Garden Party Raffle! Get tickets
Chadwick Johnson Brings Vegas to The Purple Room
On Saturday, November 3, The Purple Room Supper Club presents Chadwick Johnson: Vegas, Shaken and Stirred. The singer and songwriter will celebrate the music that has made Vegas the "Entertainment Capital of the World," from vintage swingin' tunes re-invented to the iconic hits of the stars who headline the strip today. Experience the music of Sin City then and now! Dinner at 6pm, Show at 8pm. Get tickets
Lea DeLaria Tickets - Enter to Win
Orange is the New Black star Lea DeLaria is coming to town and we are giving away free tickets and a VIP Meet and Greet with Lea backstage! Enter once each day!
[Click Here] and enter to win! You can enter once a day!
On Thursday, November 8 at 8:00 p.m., DeLaria will give a one-of-a-kind performance of comedy and jazz vocals at the McCallum Theatre. Check out her interview in the CV Independent. She has performed in some of the most prestigious houses in the world including Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, the Chicago Symphony, Hollywood Bowl, The Royal Albert Hall and the Sydney Opera House. More info
Palm Springs Pride Run and Walk 5KPalm Springs Front Runners and Walkers is proud to host the Palm Springs Pride Run and Walk 5K on Saturday, November 3, at 8:00 a.m. Join them for a 5K run or walk through the beautiful and historic neighborhood of Old Las Palmas! Registration is open through race day. Proceeds from the Palm Springs Pride Run and Walk benefit The LGBT Community Center of The Desert. More info
Passions Ball to Honor D.A.P. CEO on Nov 3
David Brinkman, CEO of Desert AIDS Project, will be honored with the Annette Bloch Heart & Soul Award at this year's 2nd Annual Passions Ball, presented by Cancer Partners at the Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa on Saturday, November 3 at 6:00 p.m. The evening will feature a cocktail reception and silent auction, dinner, program, and awards, with entertainment and dancing to "The Greatest Hitz" from Las Vegas. Get tickets
Miss Richfield 1981 Returns with Brand New Show
Outlandish - A Palm Springs Performance Series presents Miss Richfield 1981 "Born Again" on Saturday, November 3 at 8:00 p.m. In her brand new show “Born Again”, Miss R is finding new religion to bring our divided world together. Known for unique audience interaction and comedic songs and videos, she sells out the Palm Springs Cultural Center each year. Get tickets
Dyke Picnic, L-Fund Dance, Lesbo Expo
The Dyke Picnic / Rally / March is an official event of Palm Springs Pride, taking place at Frances Stevens Park from 12:00–4:00 p.m. on Saturday, November 3. MC Shann Carr will start the festivities which include an optional catered picnic ($5.00), DJ Ginger, Dancing, a Drum Circle, a Kids Area, a Raffle and Outdoor Games, Speakers and a Pride March which steps off at 4:00 PM. More info
The L-Fund's Annual Pride Dance takes place that night, Saturday, November 3, starting at 5:30 p.m. at Hotel Zoso. Dance the night away with DJ TLA Storm, back by popular demand. This is a fundraiser benefiting Lesbians in crisis in the Coachella Valley. More info
The Lesbo Expo Launch Party and Drag King Partywill take place on Sunday, November 4 from 11:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m. at Alibi (Formerly Azul), where, for the price of admission you will have a fun buffet, keg beer while it lasts. Kate Kendell will receive a Legacy Award from the Dyke March, and two other awards will be given for Community Visionary and Emerging Voice. Entertainment will be Marga Gomez, Comedian from San Francisco and Sweet Baby Ja’iand her Women’s All Star Jazz Band from Los Angeles. More info
Weekend TheatrePalm Canyon Theatre presents the Tony Award-winning Best Musical Avenue Q, opening Friday, November 2 and running through Sunday, November 18. This controversial, modern musical centers around a group of foul mouthed puppets living in an apartment complex together. With songs like, “It Sucks to Be Me”, “The Internet is for Porn”, and “What Do You Do With A B.A. in English” you’re sure to be rolling in the seats. (Adult content-not recommended for children). Get tickets
Desert Theatreworks presents Agatha Christie’s Murder on the Nile, opening Friday, November 2 and running through Sunday, November 18. In this whodunit, adapted for the stage by Christie herself, we find ourselves aboard a luxury steamer as it travels up the Nile River--a honeymoon cruise, only problem is the bride is dead. Get tickets
CVRep presents How I Learned to Drive, running through Sunday, November 18at CVRep at The Atrium in Rancho Mirage. This funny, surprising and devastating tale of survival as seen through the lens of a troubling relationship between a young girl and an older man is a multi-award winning play including the 1998 Pulitzer Prize. Check out our review by Stephen Radosh, and Get tickets
Tickets on Sale Now
- Dip Into Pride Pool Party Official Palm Springs Pride Kickoff Event
Friday, November 2 at 12:00 p.m. at Hotel Zoso
- Desert Theatreworks Presents: Agatha Christie’s Murder on the Nile
November 2–18 at the Indio Performing Arts Center
- Palm Springs Pride Run and Walk 5K
- Saturday, November 3 from 6:30 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
- HRC Palm Springs Garden Party
Saturday, November 3 from 1:30–4:30 p.m.
- L-Fund's Annual Women's Pride Dance
Saturday, November 3 at 5:30 p.m.
- Miss Richfield 1981 - Born Again
Saturday, November 3 at 8:00 p.m. at Palm Springs Cultural Center
- The 2nd Annual Passions Ball
Saturday, November 3 at 6:00 p.m. at Westin Mission Hills Resort & Spa
- Lea DeLaria at The McCallum Theatre
Thursday, November 8 at 8:00 p.m.
- Center Stage Gala
Friday, November 9 at 5:30 p.m. at the Riviera Hotel & Spa
- Dezart Performs Presents Church & State
November 9–18 at the Pearl McManus Theater
- Pam Ann "Flight Attendant Star"
Saturday, November 10 at 8:00 p.m. at the Palm Springs Cultural Center
- Everyday Heroes 2018
Friday, November 30, 2018 from 5:30–10:00 p.m.
Located in a historic mid-century building in Palm Springs sophiscated Uptown Design District, TRIO is lively and upbeat all year long. You'll be feeling upbeat when you get this HOT DEAL of a $50 gift card for only $35! Trio is turning 9 years old and celebrating this Monday, November 5 from 4:00–6:00 p.m. with Disco Diva Pamala Stanley! Get Your Deal
Eight4Nine offers a welcoming and friendly atmosphere for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Weekend Brunch, or Happy Hour! We'd like to congratulate owner Willie Rhine on his "Everyday Hero" Award, honoring local everyday heroes who've made an impact in our community. Enjoy a celebratory meal yourself when you get this HOT DEAL of a $25 gift certificate for just $15! Get Your Deal
Arenas Road, the epicenter of the gay community in Palm Springs year-round, is a prominent place to gather during Pride Weekend as well!
- The Spirit of Stonewall Street Party takes place on Friday, November 2 from 6:00–10:00 p.m., kicking off the weekend with an outdoor concert featuring the US Bank stage on Arenas between Indian Cancyon Drive and S. Calle Encilia. This FREE event is an opportunity to honor those who work to preserve gains and meet equal rights challenges facing the LGBT community.
- The Arenas Road Block Party, on Saturday, November 3 from 6:00–11:00 p.m., is a fun night of Pop, Drag, Live performances and Electronic Dance Music with an outdoor beverage lounge and street food vendors. Performances and appearances include:
- Guest Emcee Alexander Rodriguez - On The Rocks Radio & Glitter Bomb
- Elisia Savoca
- Holly Adams
- Gage Hanks
- Whorlow Jones - Sunset Jams & Live Body Painting
Presented by Hunters Nightclub, Chill Bar, Blackbook, Streetbar, GayMart
Thank you Frontier Communications for providing high speed Internet service for the Arenas Road Block Party! If your business wants reliable phone and internet service from an LGBT friendly company, get a quote today.
Top Bookmarks of the Week on GayDesertGuide.LGBT
- Palm Springs' Dezart Performs Wins Record 11 'Desert Stars' Awards At Desert Theatre League Gala
- Peter Palladino Photos Capture Stonewall Riots Anniversary
- 9 Of The Best Sex Toys For Queer Couples, According To Sexperts
- Hello, Daddies! Sexy New Web Series Tackles Being Gay And A Hot Mess In Your 50s
- A New Exhibit Brings Southern California’s Modernist Homes Into the Moonlight
Bookmarks are articles from news sources around the globe, which have featured stories about the Coachella Valley and the great things that happen here. So follow us on social media and keep up with news from sources far and wide.